So what are the risks?
- Sun - just one childhood sunburn doubles your risk
- Tanning Beds - ups your risk of developing cancer by 75%. If that doesn't turn you off hopefully the fact that you will get more wrinkles will.
- Moles - check for the odd ones
- Skin type - sorry fair skinned friends
- Already weakened immune system - like you don't have enough to worry about
- Family History - if someone in your close family has had it it can appear earlier in you. There is genetic testing available.
How to lower those risks?
- Stay in the shade
- STAY OUT OF TANNING BEDS
- Wear sunscreen - 30 minutes before heading outside & every 2 hours thereafter. The hours between 10am and 4pm are most important.
- Wear a shirt, sunglasses, hat
I've always been a stickler for Ava to wear sunscreen and have always checked the EWG for recommendations but if stuck with only "bad" options TAKE IT because really the only bad option is a sunburn. I have 5 different sunscreens in my pool bag right now because one might be easier than another at different times, I have face stick, squeeze tube, and a spray bottle. So even though I'm a stickler for my child I will now be one for myself.
Please watch this